Skip Navigation

[Closed] Custom Field create by Types not showing in Edit Custom Post

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 9 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by robbertH 9 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Ana.

Author

I have types to create a few custom fields for custom posts.
Whenever I add or update custom posts, these custom fields would be available for me to add/edit etc.
Suddenly today, the custom field sections disappeared (I have toggle on /off the screen options for the group of custom fields) and the custom fields sections appear but then it goes away again. Very strange.
All these while (past few months, no issues). But today this happens.
Tried various browsers still the same.
Please help urgently.

Ana
Supporter

Does this behaviour occurs also with the default WordPress theme?
What is the version of Types that your using and what other plugins have you recently installed.

Thanks,

I did not install any new plugin or themes.
Everything has been working properly for past few months. The problem seems to appear after I update Types to version 1.6
And then I have this message in Types section
"This version of Types has improved security when importing Types settings. Types settings that were saved with the older version of Types may not import all the data. You should export new Types settings if needed"
The same issue appears on my other websites when I update Types as well so I am quite sure it is related to Types.

What I notice is when I click Edit of a particular Custom Post, and while the page is loading, I can see the custom fields (created by Types and grouped differently) appearing, but then when the page finish loading, they disappear from the screen totally. If I enable the wordpress custom fields, the slugs and values are displayed.

Ana
Supporter

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site – preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible – in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thanks,

I have sort of find a way to solve it but I am not sure why the problem exists and whether my solution will work next time.
If you can just give some advice it would be good.
Basically, I have 4 custom field groups (each group has many fields). I noticed 1 of the custom field group is appearing but not the rest. So I created a NEW custom field group with the fields that was missing in the other 3 custom field groups. And now all fields appear. Its painful process but at least it solves things temporarily (and I hope permanently).
I still wonder why this happen - I really suspect it was the update of Types. I hope this will not happen for every update.

Ana
Supporter

Dear wei-teckT,

in order to be able to give you a better reply to your issue I would need to debug in a test site with this issue occurring has I could not replicate the issue reported by you locally.

Regards,
Ana

I have this exact same problem on both my dev and production servers.

I just disabled all plugins on the dev server and it made no difference, I also upgraded to wordpress 4 and no difference. I also uninstalled types, then installed and imported it.

I also can't update the custom fields when the custom field box does show.

Regards,
Rob.

And I tried a different theme, and still no difference.

I can get the custom fields box to show by clicking the relative checkbox on screen options, off then on.

Once I click the update button the custom fields box disappears before the update is submitted, which I assume is the reason that fields are now not updatable.

After some more testing this is the workaround:

1. Create a new custom field group

2. add all the fields to the new group.

3. remove all the fields from the old group

4. delete the old group

There is no data loss, except for the order of the fields in the group.

The topic ‘[Closed] Custom Field create by Types not showing in Edit Custom Post’ is closed to new replies.