Skip Navigation

[Closed] Please help me.

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 9 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Shane 9 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hello Toolset,

Just purchased the whole package, not bad. However, I'm trying to do this parent/child relationship thing, not working at all for me. The documentation isn't as straight forward. So this is what I'm trying to do. I have created 2 custom content types, Authors and Publications. When you view Publications, I want to be able to click on the Authors name so that I can view the Authors profiles. I've tried the parent/child relationship, tried the [wpv-post-link id="$author"] shortcode. Maybe my install isn't working, not sure. But I thought this wouldn't be as bad or complicated as Drupal. It looks pretty simple, but nothing is working.

Please help me.

moi06

Hello Toolset,

Just purchased the whole package, not bad. However, I'm trying to do this parent/child relationship thing, not working at all for me. The documentation isn't as straight forward. So this is what I'm trying to do. I have created 2 custom content types, Authors and Publications. When you view Publications, I want to be able to click on the Authors name so that I can view the Authors profiles. I've tried the parent/child relationship, tried the [wpv-post-link id="$author"] shortcode. Maybe my install isn't working, not sure. But I thought this wouldn't be as bad or complicated as Drupal. It looks pretty simple, but nothing is working.

Please help me.

moi06

Thank you very much for contacting with us

I cannot understand exactly how try to implement this.

If you just add some wp-types shortcodes, you cannot have the result you want.

You must try to create a view to display them.

Please check our documentation for the Post Type Relationships here
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/

and after that check the documentation about how to display them here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/querying-and-displaying-child-posts/

Please let me know if this helps you. If it isn't I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin) to your site - preferably to a test site - in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I totally understand your confusion and I would like to help.

As I have already told you I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin) to your site - preferably to a test site - in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you.

First of all the links you gave us they are not accessible. It needs a vpn account from your university.

So I will try to describe the procedure.

From the Documentation I have already sent you :

1) We create some Custom Post Type with Custom Fields etc.
2) When you create a new custom post type you’ll see an option at the bottom of the page called Post Relationship.
3) Once you have connected a parent to a child and saved your new custom post type, you can then decide which data you wish to show on the post editing screen for the parent. Return to the custom post type admin screen the parent and scroll down to post relationships. Click on the edit button beside “Children?? and click on the edit fields link.
4) You can then decide which fields should appear on the node’s editing screen. Probably your option will be a Specific field(from the profile custom post type) with the name of the Author.
5) Then you Should go and display them with the VIEWS.
6) Follow the instructions here (https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/querying-and-displaying-child-posts/). You have 2 options you can select. Choose the one it's fits for you best.

Please let me know if this helps you. If not I would like to help you so, as I have already told you I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin) to your site. If you want to give us access please inform us and I will set your next reply as a private.

Thank you very much for your time.

Ops, should be accessible now, take a look. And can you keep this as a private message?

Thx,
moi06

Sorry the link are not accessible :
Access to this site is limited to XXX. If you are visiting the site from outside of XXX, please login to the Virtual Private Network (VPN) to gain access.

Did you Follow the procedure I described to you in my previous message? If not please start from the beginning and follow the procedure. As you can see we don't need to use any shortcodes for the relationship between CPT. Also you need Types Plugin and Views Plugin. If you have only Types you cannot accomplish this without coding.

Also we have released new versions for our plugins. Please update everything (including wordpress core) to the latest version.

Thank you

Hey Andreas,

Sorry about that, I turned off the wrong website. Now try those links I sent.

Thx,
Moi06

Sorry for my delayed response. I'll help you with this since Andreas has moved to another team.

In your View loop you can just add the following code in order to link the Author name to the author page.

<a href='../ri-people/?uid=[wpv-post-author format="meta" meta="ID"]'>[wpv-post-author]</a>

That would work if I were using post-authors. Everyone's assuming that I'm using the built-in User Content Type. No, I'm not. I created two content types. Authors and Publications using Types. This is what my loop looks like.

[wpv-layout-start]
	[wpv-items-found]
	<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
   <ul>
      <wpv-loop>
        <li><strong>[wpv-post-link]</strong><br><i>[types field="author" separator=", "][/types]<br>[types field="book-title" id=""][/types], [types field="publication-date" id=""][/types]<br></i></li><br>
      </wpv-loop>
   </ul>
	<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
	[/wpv-items-found]
	[wpv-no-items-found]
		[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]<strong>No items found</strong>[/wpml-string]
	[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]

This shortcode [types field="author" separator=", "][/types] needs to link back to the Author profile. So disregard the built-in WordPress Content Types. I've created my own using Types. Also, I'm kinda disappointed with this Toolset plugin. It's just not that simple and the documentation needs help, it's confusing.

moi06

Andreas,

We spoke about this before I purchased the lifetime Toolset package. You explained that if using the WordPress Content Type User, what I'm trying to archive maybe difficult. Then I explained that no, I'm CREATING two custom types using the TYPES PLUGIN, People & Publications. See how I changed the name of Author to People because everyone is having a hard time separating the two. Just because someones says Author, doesn't always mean you're speaking about the built-in WordPress Content Types User and/or Post. So what I've done is totally renamed my CUSTOM CONTENT TYPE. It's now called People.

=========================================

I've been going back and forth for almost 2 months. Please just try to understand this. People and Publications are two custom content types I created using the Types plugins. So just forget about the wording and the WordPress User Content Type. Forget about the WordPress Post Content Type. I'm not using ANY built-in WordPress Content Type. Again, I'm not using ANY built-in WordPress Content Type. I'm using CUSTOM CONTENT TYPES USING YOUR TYPES PLUGINS.

ALso, shortcode added to the function.php file, which also means when updating, that custom code will be replaced, isn't going to work. The whole purpose of spending $250, which I'm totally regretting at this point, is not to add custom coding to any files.

So what I've done is totally renamed my CUSTOM CONTENT TYPE. It's now called People. See the shortcode below.

[wpv-layout-start]
	[wpv-items-found]
	<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
   <ul>
      <wpv-loop>
        <li><strong>[wpv-post-link]</strong><br><i>[types field="people" separator=", "][/types]<br>[types field="book-title" id=""][/types], [types field="publication-date" id=""][/types]<br></i></li><br>
      </wpv-loop>
   </ul>
	<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
	[/wpv-items-found]
	[wpv-no-items-found]
		[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]<strong>No items found</strong>[/wpml-string]
	[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]   

People are associated with Publications. Individual People have their own profile pages. You have a Publication Name and People associated with said Publication. Real simple right.

You should be able to click that name (People), which will take you back to their Profile page. So, if I click say Kathy Neal, I should be able to link to Kathy Neal's profile page. If I click Juan Jones, I should be able to link to Juan Jones profile page. I can't explain it any simpler. How can I do this?

==============================
Near Optimal Bayesian Active Learning for Decision Making
Kathy Neal

Approximate Inverse Optimal Control and its Application for Mental Simulation of Human Interactions
Juan Jones

Mapping Orchards for Autonomous Navigation
Juan Jones, Carol Evans

Learning Monocular Reactive UAV Control in Cluttered Natural Environments
John Doe, Kathy Neal, Carol Evans, Juan Jones

An Architecture for Online Semantic Labeling on UGVs
John Doe

Efficient 3-D Scene Analysis from Streaming Data
Carol Evans
========================================

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi David,

I will be handling this ticket right now.

Based on what I read in this thread you are trying to achieve a Parent/child structure Correct?

The way you want to display this is that whenever you click a publication you want to see a list of authors under that publication correct?

Finally when you click an author name it should take you to their profile correct?

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct and we can move on from there.

The topic ‘[Closed] Please help me.’ is closed to new replies.