Home Forums Paid Support [Resolved] Repeating fields should not be used in child posts

[Resolved] Repeating fields should not be used in child posts

This topic contains 27 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  harrisonD 10 months, 3 weeks ago. The support staff assigned to this topic is Caridad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Author

"Repeating fields should not be used in child posts. Types will update all field values."

I get the above error when I edit a custom post type that is also a parent. In the bottom of the screen, I see the "Fields table" with the warning above.
Child posts of this parent have repeating fields. Why Types says I can't do that (even though I already did)?

I hesitated to click the Update button, I thought Types might delete some data? I never saw this error prior to Types 1.2

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

Please let me see an image of this error, attach it.

Here you go.

The fields "job-responsibilities" "job-requirements" "job-benefits" are repeating fields attached to the post type "job-post". Each "job-post" is a child of the post type "employer"

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

Its not possible to use repeating fields in the fields metabox, only when adding / editing child posts from the menu.

Ok, that's understandable.

But I'm only editing the parent's fields from that screen-- I almost never touch the "Fields table" section. I don't want that error message nagging me like that, it scares my clients.

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

This error appears when you click in "Save All Job Posts"?

No, it does not appear after I click something, it is just there by default-- even before I touch anything. And it will not go away no mater what.

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

I’ll send you a private email right now asking you for some private information that will help me debug this issue for you. Please check your email in a couple of minutes, and if you don’t get it, let me know so I can send it again.
Thanks.

Adriano,

I've sent you the details in your email.

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

I received it and I'm checking it now.

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

It's sounds like a bug. Please, can you reproduce this issue in a Discover site? There we can debug a little more.

You are welcome to set a test site using our http://discover-wp.com system. You can set a test site there in few minutes, reproduce the problems and share with us the access details so we will be able to review it.

Here is a description for why and how to do this:
http://wp-types.com/faq/how-and-why-to-create-a-test-site-in-discover-wp/

Adriano,

Thanks for checking this out but I really don't have the luxury of pursuing the debug of this in a test site... etc. I'm afraid I'm short on time.
You've seen the error already, and you've been inside the backend, weren't you able to figure out the cause of this?

Adriano
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

You need to check all child fields (Post Title, job-type, application-deadline...), none of these can be repetitive fields (Allow multiple-instances of this field). Maybe it was not displayed in child form earlier.

Adriano,

I'm not quite sure what you need me to do now. I've already mentioned that fields "job-responsibilities" "job-requirements" "job-benefits" are repeating fields. They are so because I NEED them to be so. This does not help now, I'm still seeing that nag error. It's scaring my clients. I just need to turn the error message off!

Caridad
Forum moderator

Dear Hassan,

If you go to your parent custom post type and click the 'edit fields' link you should be able to remove the repeating fields from that view. Then the warning should go away. Can you try this?

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Regards,
Caridad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Policy

ToolSet staff will help you use Types, Views and CRED correctly, provide any information you need, help troubleshoot problems and advice on best-practices.

Please make sure to issue only one topic per each support ticket.

Need custom programming work for your site? Check out our certified partners.