Skip Navigation

[Closed] Taxonomy vs Cateogry

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 9 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas 9 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Waqas.

Author

I have a custom post type with a custom taxonomy but I can not figure out how to set it up so it doesn't show those tax's in the general categories area. I need to see them in Admin so "Hidden" isn't an option.

Curious what I'm doing wrong?

Waqas
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Can you please explain about your "custom taxonomy"? Since when you create a Custom Taxonomy using Types (Dashboard -> Types -> Types & Taxonomies -> Add Custom Taxonomy), it shouldn't be mixed with the standard Categories.

Also, can you please send some debug information about your site? Please see https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/ for more information.

I have enabled debug information area for your next reply.

Screenshot at Mar 10 20-59-13.png
Screenshot at Mar 10 20-59-51.png

I can supply an Admin login if needed. Submitted two screenshots you can see "Ranking" in both Post and Review categories.

Waqas
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

I think there's a confusion between "Categories" and "Custom Taxonomies". Let me try to explain these in the followings:

- Categories: These are the standard taxonomies by Word Press. Types allow you to attach these with your own CPTs. But when you attach/use the Categories, a standard Categories meta box is shown, along with "all" categories created in the Word Press. So it can create some confusion, that you just wanted to see your "own" categories.

- Custom Taxonomies: These are usually called terms (or taxonomies). Standard taxonomies offered by WP are Tags (flat taxonomies). Types offers you to create your own custom taxonomies with your CPTs (or standard post types). When you create a custom taxonomy these are appeared in a separate meta box on your post edit screen. All terms created in your custom taxonomy, are also limited to this particular custom taxonomy (and are not mixed with standard categories or terms). You can also configure your custom taxonomy to appear like Tags (flat) or like Categories (hierarchical).

I will suggest to take a look at this guide https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/create-custom-taxonomies/ which discusses all around this. This also shows that how you can create custom taxonomies using Types.

The topic ‘[Closed] Taxonomy vs Cateogry’ is closed to new replies.