Skip Navigation

[Closed] What is the difference between Bootstrap Toolset and Bootstrap Toolset?

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 9 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas 9 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqas.

Author

If I activate the theme "Layouts demo for Bootstrap 3" so I can use a Layout in a post. If I turn the theme Bootstrap Toolset (clean from your site), I get a message:
"A template file that supports layouts is not available for the "Post" post type.
Please check here to see how to set one up."
(And that help page is not so much help)

Waqas
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

"Layouts demo for Bootstrap 3" theme is designed to demonstrate several aspects of Layouts plugin. And is accompanied with pre-built layouts and configurations. While "Bootstrap Toolset" is a clean theme (as you mentioned) to take a start from scratch.

The message is just a notification, informing you to create a layout in Layouts and set one to serve the generic purpose for that particular types of posts. When you create a layout, you can find an option to set and serve the layout as a master (or default) layout for a particular post type.

I will suggest you to take a start from the beginning, by looking at "Layouts Getting Started Guide" here https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-getting-started-guide/. The page referring you from the above mentioned notification, is kinda jump-in-the-middle, so it's better to get to know the Layouts from the beginning.

Please feel free to ask for more help on anything related.

Have done that!

So you mean that I should not have to change the php files, it should work with the theme Bootstrap Toolset and Layouts (it does for me with pages).
Really like the way to work, but I come on a little too much hardship, have major problems with the integration of WPML. ...

Waqas
Supporter

Yes, apparently, you don't need to edit your PHP files, since Layouts does it very well. However, in some advanced situations you may need to do it that way, for example if you are building your own theme, or want to build a child theme on top of a Layouts supported theme. But still Layouts offers so much to do without coding in such situations. User guides have well explained stuff around this.

If you are experiencing some issues around how WPML works, I will suggest you to have some understanding by looking at http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/. However, if you understand WPML properly and still need some technical solutions - you can either open a new thread at this forum, or can visit http://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/ for WPML specialized support.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything related.

I always work with child theme, isn't that the idea with Toolset Bootstrap? I don´t think that is "advanced"?
But why can I use Toolset Bootstrap / Layouts with single "pages" but not with single "posts"?
Which file should I edit to get the posts to work in a child thema?

Waqas
Supporter

Yes of course when your parent theme has a support for Layouts, then child layouts should not be a problem. My reference towards advanced was about doing things from scratch or having particular cases. For example, you have an awesome theme purchased, but you find that doesn't work with Layouts. So in this case you might want to integrate Layouts with your new theme.

Just like pages, Layouts can work with specific posts too, since Page is a type of post also. The following 2 particular topics, address things around this, please have a look into these:

1. https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/content-template-cell/
2. https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/digging-into-view-outputs/

For adding support to new themes and child themes, please see the "Developing Themes with Layouts" section in Layouts documentation at https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/#layouts

I hope this explains on your queries.

Skärmavbild 2014-10-30 kl. 12.31.35.png
Skärmavbild 2014-10-30 kl. 12.34.54.png
Skärmavbild 2014-10-30 kl. 12.47.23.png

Maybe I explain myself badly. I have read the documentation and do not see that it is possible to find a solution to my specific problem.
I made a layout for the "Single Pages and posts" As I understood, I could use this layout to display single pages and posts!
It is perfectly fine to use this layout to display pages, but when I want to use this layout to display posts, I get a warning in the editing of the record. Sending with screenshots.
I use wordpress with Toolset Bootstrap theme, Views, Types and Layouts. Nothing else! Its not a advanced setup, and it is not a particular case.

Made a film for you! 🙂
hidden link

Waqas
Supporter

Thank you for replying in detail, specially the video was helpful to understand about all this.

I have consulted with my seniors about the warning message shown on post/page edit screen. This message shouldn't impact on the application of the layout, but, since the layout isn't being applied when you switch themes, that may be a problem.

Can you please advise, if you have done "anything" particular with your setup? Like adding any theme support, additional code or etc. Or this is just a clean/plain Word Press, Toolset Plugins and Bootstrap Themes installation (as you mentioned)?

I am just asking this for a confirmation, however, meanwhile I am going to try a clean and plain setup to reproduce the same issue. If there's anything in particular, done with your setup, that will also help me reproducing this issue and finding a more appropriate solution.

Please let me know, thank you.

No, I did a clean setup just for you. I am working with 4 sites just now and all behave just the same.
There is big differences between the 2 themes (with same theme name). Function.php differ a lot.
It seems that the Theme inside the Layout demo is a older version, but that works! =)
If I copy single.php from the the demo theme it works, but I think it´s not up to me to fix the bug in function.php (where I think the problem resist).

It would be very nice to work with Bootstrap-Toolset - Layouts - Views, Types and WPML, but there is to much flaws to take it serious. This is one bug, but I have so far found several more.

Waqas
Supporter

I have tried recreating this issue on my local host, but looks everything fine to me.

Can I ask you for a temporary access to your website? So I can look into more details.

I have enabled your next reply as Private, please input any sensitive information in that area. Also please remember to take full backup of your website (site + database).

The topic ‘[Closed] What is the difference between Bootstrap Toolset and Bootstrap Toolset?’ is closed to new replies.