Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Add existing posts as children to a parent

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 11 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Susannah 10 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I understand the concept of parent/child relationships and have implemented one. Let's say I have a ParentPost and a ChildPost. In the ParentPost editor I want to add an existing ChildPost – not a new ChildPost. If I add a child and give it the same name as an existing ChildPost then it creates two children with the same name.

I don't the editor to create ChildPosts at the ParentPost level – as they may duplicate existing ChildPosts - which have to be unique in my database. Each childPost represents an archeological artefact and will have a unique cataloguing number.

Is there a way to do this? For example, to get a pop-up or check box list of all the database objects that can be children of this parent post?

Thank-you

Hi simonlucas,

It not possible within Types, and it is already in our to-do list as a feature request.
To do it, you need edit your child post, and manually select parent post in the "Fields table" section

Regards
Luo

Thank-you for your response. Looking forward to additional developments in Types.

I am too looking for the feature.

I have a parent (project) and a child (news).
The workflow when maintaining the website will be to create projects. And only relate project to news when the news is created. This works fine with the drop-down on the child.

Right now I would love it if i could at least remove the ability for my users to edit a news-item on the project-edit-page. The editors will be confused and they might think that they remove a relationship and not deleting a post. As long as the featured simonlucas requested is not existing it would be better for me to simply hide the area regarding the News-child posts. I have another cpt which is a child, and it should not be hidden.

Can you help with this in PHP code?

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.