Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Cred editing form link not working

This support ticket is created 6 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by robertM-17 6 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
cred edit post link not working.png

I am trying to:
insert cred editing link using 1) Layouts - Fields ...Cred Editing....Edit Post Link - I've been using [Fields and Views] button to try to get there. This is not working. It always shows the dialog below.

I have
- created the form - as an editing form
- made a layout and put the form in a view cell - not able to link to layout to the form tho, but don't think that' can be done, or don't know how to - options are only posts/pages etc.

Then
2)I try the shortcode
[toolset-edit-post-link layout_slug="event-editing-form-cred"]Edit this[/toolset-edit-post-link]
and it does not show.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
an edit link

Instead, I got:
nothing (the little '|' above Leave Comments is supposed to be there, with some field data) but under that, the blank space.

- made a layout and put the form in a view cell - not able to link to layout to the form tho, but don't think that' can be done, or don't know how to - options are only posts/pages etc.

Hi, instead of adding the form to a View or Visual Editor cell, please use the CRED form cell specifically designed for this purpose. This should effectively link this Layout to the edit form, and resolve the issue you have experienced. Please let me know if that is not the case.

[this email sent - sorry if it's duplicated, could not click 'my issues is resolved on email]

Thanks Christian

I looked again. I had almost given up on CRED.
Thanks for your guidance.

The issue was that I was having no luck with the EDIT-POST-LINK. To allow me to edit the current post, even though I had used it before.
The problem was not embedding the form itself. Sorry that was not clear.

However, I’ve actually since abandoned Layouts - I found it too tricky. Using it with other tools to control layout (elementor+addons mainly) was annoying as it often ‘took over’ the layout when I didn’t want it to. So it safer to deactivate it. I don’t know if that made a difference but am not going back there!

Without Layouts, I was restricted to Content Templates, which the CRED form was then attached to.
I had no problem then, it brought up the [edit-post-link] for the relevant post. I hadn’t tried Content Template while Layouts was there.

I’ll have to look at Content Templates more closely to see how else they can work for me as they seem to have different uses in different contexts.

A NOTE...
I do find this aspect of Toolset quite complicated. I don’t think I’m that dumb but it’s not clear. Form, needs Layout or Content Template etc.
Other tools have forms just coming up when they are called, without any additional layers of creation and attaching thing for no other purpose than to display the form. In fact my major reason for paying for Toolset (beyond Types) was the promise of integration between CPTs, Forms, Views and QUERIES!!! but this, to me, is an anomaly in the suite.

While Toolset is a very powerful and flexible suite, I am sure I don’t know the half of it but can see there is lots of potential for effective content management. Am not a techie and it takes a while to get use to each new paradigm.

Types is GREAT and Views seems really good for queries. I even like CRED even though that code-y looking stuff (the template files etc) look really scary at first. and the Toolset Dashboard is a constant go-to place to see how things are working together. I like that.

Tooolset's ‘just-in-time', contextual help links and video are well placed throughout the suite and support (you etc) is responsive but I am trying to learn too many things at the same time. So have to drop a few.

Sadly there are many compatibility problems with Elementor and Toolset as I can see from the Support forum here. However I hope they get resolved. Most of the site will be built with Elementor. It’s really fast and simple. Unlike the different actions needed to get some aspects of Toolset going. I know it’s easy when you know how. Toolset’s well documented and such but confusing nonetheless.

So Toolset Dashboard, Types, Views and even CRED I can see uses for. I’ll have to get my head around Content Templates (and I’ve seen the help docs). I’ve happily abandoned Layouts.

Thanks
Robert

ps i was using this guidance, under the layouts tab before

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-cred-editing-forms/?utm_source=credplugin&utm_campaign=cred&utm_medium=form-edit-notice&utm_term=How%20to%20display%20editing%20forms%20%C2%BB
Using Layouts

If you are using the Layouts plugin you need to create a layout that contains a CRED Post Form or CRED User Form cell for editing posts or user information. Consider this layout as the template for the “editing mode.”

Unlike the “display mode” layouts, which typically display the different fields that belong to the content and the “Post Content” cell, the “editing mode” layout must include the CRED form. Unless you want to display fields (not editable), this layout does not need to include anything else.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.