Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom taxonomy permalink

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 6 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

Hello. I am using Types to create custom taxonomies for Woocommerce.
I have disabled the builtin WC taxonomies (Product categories & Tags).

I created my own (Watch categories, Jewelry Categories) and populated them. For example under Watch Category I created Watch->Men's Watch.

I did not change the default settings in permalinks.

The problem is that the permalink is not showing the custom taxonomy. Instead it obviously uses a default WP taxonomy (not sure if its WP or WC's). Show insted of:

hidden link

it shows

hidden link

I would appreciate some help on how to solve this.
Thanks

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

1. Categories.png
2. Permalink Settings.png

Hi Aris,

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support. This is basically a WooCommerce question as it handles any taxonomy permalinks attached with its products. For this you need to follow below steps:

1. Add Watch as parent category and Men’s Watch as child -- see attached screenshot.
2. Set Permalink Settings as attached.
3. It will give you URLs like this:

Product Category link: hidden link
Single Product link: hidden link

For more info:
hidden link
https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/permalinks/
hidden link

If you need something else than above, please consider posting the issue here:
https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/woocommerce

Thank you

Noman
Supporter

UPDATE: I have just modified above reply with some more details.

Thank you for your reply.
I understand your suggestion. However and as I previously mentioned, I do not use builtin product categories to group my products. I created custom taxonomies for that.

Just a thought: what is the respective syntax to refer to custom taxonomy directly? I mean the one like '%product_cat%'. Would just including the slug inside suffice? Eg if slug is 'watch-categories' can I refer to it inside permalink settings as

/shop/%watch-categories%

?

Noman
Supporter

Hello Aris,

Eg if slug is 'watch-categories' can I refer to it inside permalink settings as
/shop/%watch-categories%
==> Sorry, you can’t use Custom taxonomies directly in permalink as native taxonomies (categories). It needs some custom coding.
Here is a client that make it to show custom taxonomies in permalink using some code:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/display-custom-taxonomy-in-permalink/#post-88991

Its a kind of builtin limitation of WP or WooCommerce itself, so you might want to ask it from their support forums if above client provided code does not work.

Thanks

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.