Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Edits to View "Content Selection" not saved / Relationships not Auto-Populating

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by lizR 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
2018-03-12_00h59_39.png
2018-03-12_00h59_16.png
2018-03-12_00h58_33.png
2018-03-12_00h58_06.png
2018-03-12_00h57_30.png
2018-03-12_00h57_10.png
2018-03-12_00h56_21.png
2018-03-12_00h54_48.png
2018-03-12_00h51_16.png
2018-03-12_00h50_58.png
2018-03-12_00h59_39.png

I am trying to: create / edit views. No matter what post type I select under "Content Selection", and even after the changes are saved, when I return to the view, either no post type is selected or "Posts" is always selected. None of the views return the expected results.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The post type "People" selected

Instead, I got: No Post type selected.

I am trying to: create / edit views. I have Post Types "Book Editions" and "People" with a many-to-many relationship ("Book Edition People") that has one custom field (a single select, eg. "Author", "Editor", etc.).

When I create a filter and select the parent relationship, I get three different outcomes: (1) No relationship found; (2) the relationship is found, but I don't have the option to select which post type I want to pull from the relationship; or (3) I get the option to select the post type, but it is displayed as "%%PARENT%%" or "%%CHILD%%".

The second option is only available after I save the view the first time, go to another screen and reload the view to edit. At this point, however, the changes I had made to Content Selection are lost. When I again select "People", and then go to edit hte relationship, I'm able to find "Book Edition People", but I still can't get to the step of selecting "People" (3 above). But no matter, what, I save these changes, and I'm back to the original problem -- namely, the content selection changes are not saved. Once I reset the post type, the filter settings do appear to have been changed, and updated enough to select the actual relationship and %%PARENT%% or %%CHILD%%

I expected to see: The post type "People" selected; Saved Changes;

Instead, I got: No Post type selected; Changes Lost

Look at the time stamps on the screenshots.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Liz

Firstly, please note that you are posting in the Community Forum for users of the free Types plugin. As a Toolset customer you can and should post in the Technical Support forum which we prioritise and where you should receive speedier service.

I checked your site and observed the problem, there is an ajax error in the console preventing the post type selection being saved.

I took a duplicate of your site and installed it locally to test, but didn't see the issue, so it is specific to your installation on your current server.

I have escalated this so that I can get advice from colleagues on how to proceed to debug the problem and I'll get back to you.

Hi,

Thank you for looking into the problem. Should i repost in the other forum? If it is helpful, I had to do a manual install over the weekend. (Please see support ticket, link below). In short, the quick install through DreamHost was working, but when I deleted relationships, I got a Fatal Error. I did a manual install per advice on the forum, but now I am having this new problem.

Link to prior support ticket: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/fatal-error-new-post-type-uncaught-invalidargumentexception-first-argument-is/

Thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

I scanned the other ticket and I'm not sure there is anything there that directly relates to this, but I'll mention it to my colleagues.

No need to re-post in the other forum, we can continue here.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Liz

My colleague asked to see your PHP logs when this occurs.

If you haven't already, turn on the debug log by editing your wp-config.php file and change the line with WP_DEBUG like so:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

That will create a debug log called error_log.txt in your root directory (the same location as wp-config.php) which you can examine in any text editor. Try visiting the same page to trigger the save error again and then inspect the log.

Let me know what it shows.

Hi,

Okay, I've added those 4 lines to wp-config.php. I was thinking you guys would be looking in to this issue a bit more, but your email suggests I should be looking at the debug file. I'm happy to try and do so, but this isn't my area of expertise, and it likely won't solve the problem.

You mentioned the other support ticket wasn't relevant, but you're saying this is a problem with my install. The other support ticket got closed because Toolset advised that I do a manual wordpress install, which I've done. Now, I can't use the plugin because the manual install is apparently causing an issue.

I provided all of the access suggested when I created the support ticket. Could you please confirm that Toolset is still looking in to trying to resolve this issue?

Honestly, I've just been trying to play with the beta plugin for close to a week now, but keep running in to issues that make it impossible to keep testing. I really want to dive in to Toolset, but I need to be able to use the plugin consistently, and without so much frustration. I'm hoping that you guys will work out this issue!

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Liz

The problem only happens with your site, and only on your server, not on the copy of your site I took and installed locally, so debugging the issue involves some input from you because it is not an issue we can reproduce.

I went to your site and saw that it wouldn't load because of fatal errors, the code you had added to wp-config.php had been pasted wrongly.

I fixed that, and then went back into your site to edit the View and update the post content selection (which wasn't working and generated the error) so that the error would be reported in the debug logs. But... it has disappeared. The problem, I mean. I was able to set and unset and change the post type selection without issue. I checked with another View and found the same.

Whatever the problem on your server was it seems to have fixed itself.

I have turned off the debugging, but I did go ahead and check the error_log.txt file. If you look you will see that you have a plugin WP importer custom fields pro which is generating errors that you may want to investigate.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for checking in, fixing my error, and the patient reply. Things look to be working. I had also opened a support ticket with Dream Host. They looked at the tickets and saw your response as well. Here's what they added, in case it is helpful. I had accidentally purchased the WP Importer Custom Fields Pro Plugin instead of the "WP Ultimate CSV Importer - Custom Fields Import" one you guys recommend. However, the problem with relationships seemed to start before then.

----------Dream Host Support Message -----
The only part that seems to be ongoing is due to the WP Importer Custom
Fields Pro plugin. I checked the error logs in the server, but didn't
see any errors at all. I then checked the error_log.txt file that was
created, and found the following errors:

[13-Mar-2018 16:17:27 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index:
send_user_password in
/home/wp_52xvca/trextools.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-importer-customfields-pro/in cludes/class-uci-email-scheduler.php
on line 19

I would recommend to uninstall and reinstall the WP Importer Custom
Fields Pro plugin. If that doesn't fix this issue, I recommend reaching
out to the plugin developer and provide the errors. Once you have more
information from them, please reach back to us let us know what they say.

-------

Thanks again.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.