Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Help needed to build up a custom search with results on a different page

This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Franco Calcagni 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: build a custom search qwith results on a different page

I visited this URL: hidden link this is the URL where we placed the custom search

I expected to see: results on page: hidden link

Instead, I got: the homepage refreshes itself on the following URL hidden link instead of showing the search results page

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Franco,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Would you mind providing me with admin access to the website so that I can have a look at this for you ?

The private fields will be enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Could you try removing the search and re-adding it to the layout ?

Thanks,
Shane

search.jpg

Hi Shane,
i tried to re-insert the custom search and the result page, but it is very slow and the page is stopping during the "saving process" (see screenshot)

Hi Shane,
it was a connection problem, now the page is saved and you can do a new test.
Please let me know.

Thanks

Franco

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Could you try doing this.

What I want you to do is to add a visual editor cell to your layout.

In that visual editor cell I would like for you to add your parametric search
To tell your search to display the results on another page you will need the target_id attribute as you can see below.

[WPV-FORM-VIEW NAME="POST-SEARCH" TARGET_ID="3553"]

The target_id attribute takes the ID of the results page so when you submit the form you will be redirected to that page.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi,
we updated the page with the code indicated

[WPV-FORM-VIEW NAME="POST-SEARCH" TARGET_ID="3553"] edited with our parameters [wpv-form-view name=”ricerca-homepage” target_id=”255”]

but it doesn't work.

Is there possible to create a working example or let us know if a working example can be downloaded somewhere?
Thanks.

Franco.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

I've setup an example here.
hidden link

IT also seems that you view was not completed, I went ahead and set it to display the post title.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane, thanks for the example but if we access the page to edi the search form we cannot see all editable fields also for creating further fields and filters. How can we access the complete editable form?
In addition, how can we customize the search results page so to display the search results in a layout equal to the one in the grid of the following page?

hidden link

Thanks for your assistance.

Franco

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

So from my example page you will see where I see where you were able to add the search and then have the results display on another page, however I noticed it wasn't displaying any results at all and that was because your loop output was actually empty 🙁

Have a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/adding-lists-of-contents/

This should be able to guide you on how to setup your view output even with the Grid Layout.

Please let me know if this helps and if there are any queries let me know and i'll be more than happy to assist further 🙂

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,
we had a look at the tutorial on the link you shared but unfortunately we didn't understand how that case would apply to our need. Is it possible for you to create a working example of a search form with results on a different page displayed as a grid of 3 cells?
you can place the data of the custom post "annunci" and the style of the grid is the same you fine in the page:
hidden link

Thanks for your help on this.

Franco.

Hi, Shane is off today but will return tomorrow with an update for you. Thanks for your patience.

Shane
Supporter

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 9.55.39 AM.png

Hi Franco,

Sure no problem, right now i'm having some issues with the loading of the site but what you need to do is to use the Loop Wizard and select Bootstrap Grid, see screenshot

Then hit next and select the field items you want to display in the grid.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane, thanks for your info but we need an example of a ful code structure of the results page because we don't know how to chain the form results to the grid layout.
Thanks for your help on this.

Franco.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

I'm not sure if i'm explaining things correctly so i must apologize for that 🙁

In my previous response the Loop wizard bootstrap Grid settings will generate the code structure for you, so no hardcoding is needed to be done in order to achieve the grid layout.

Once you click Bootstrap Grid and select the amount of columns you would like, then you hit next and add the fields you want to display in the Grid.

If you're still not clear on this I can create a short video demonstration for you.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.