Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Import from localhost to live site failed.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have exported settings from Types using Toolset > Import / Export, but when I attempt to import the generated zip file I receive an error that Toolset is unable to open the zip file.

Solution: First, verify that the zip file includes an XML file and a PHP file. The XML file should be properly formed - use a service like https://validator.w3.org to confirm this. The PHP file should include a timestamp variable and value.

If these appear to be formed correctly, then it could be a conflict between other 3rd party plugins and Toolset. As a test, temporarily disable all non-Toolset plugins and activate a default theme like Twenty Seventeen. Attempt the upload again.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Akhil 6 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: export from lcoalhost and import to live site .

I expected to see: success

Instead, I got: error cannot open the zip file.

Is there any other plugins that i can use to export and import toolset items ?

Hi, can you unzip the archive that was created from localhost? If so, what do you find in the archive? You should find two files, one is a PHP file and the other is an XML file. Copy the contents of the XML file and paste them into an XML validator like hidden link and verify that you have a properly formatted XML document.

Open the PHP file and confirm that you see something like this:

<?php
$timestamp = 1496681255;

?>

If you have a valid XML document and your PHP file looks something like the sample above, then it's possible that something on your live site is preventing you from uploading Zip files this way. As a test, you could temporarily switch to a default theme like Twenty Seventeen and disable all non-Toolset plugins, then attempt to import again.

Is there any other plugins that i can use to export and import toolset items ?
If you're trying to import and export toolset structures, like custom post types, custom taxonomies, Access settings, Views settings, etc, then Toolset Module Manager can be used to package these up as features and import to other sites. This does not export or import post content, however.

If you'd like, I can try to import the zip archive on a local site. If it works, we know that the export part is working correctly, and we can investigate other areas. If that's okay with you, you may provide a link where I can download the zip file. You can upload it to something like Dropbox or Google Drive where I can find it. I will enable private reply fields here in case you want to share that download link confidentially. No need to fill out all the login credentials right now, just the download link will be fine.

HI Christian , the xml is valid and yes there is datestamp .

i'll proceed now with disabling all other plugin and switch to default theme to export the items.

will update soon. thanks
Private message

OK thanks, but I'm not comfortable using this file transfer site - a .dmg file download was automatically initiated on my Mac when I tried to download the zip file. That makes me distrust the zip file contents. Please use a reputable service like Dropbox or Drive.

Hi sir you're simply genius!

I manage to get all content exported to live site using the method you suggested . !

thanks!

btw regarding the dowload link, yes sometimes they open up some funny ads/links. we need to ignore that and only download zip file , usually after closing an ads page.

That's great news! If you found a specific plugin or theme was causing the problem, please let me know here so we can report a compatibility issue.

i think the best practice is to disable all third party plugin and themes in order to get a good export sets.

my problem could be due to mac file permission system too.
XAMPP and mac doesnt go well all the time .still.

thanks again!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.