Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Link to CRED edit form breaks

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to add a link to an edit form from a View.

I visited this URL: hidden link
The link in question is the Edit link in the table entitled New enrolments.

I expected to see a form to edit the record.

Instead, I got a blank page with the heading "Enrolments."

I have a similar edit link in the "Students" table above that works, and as far as I can tell the code is exactly the same.

I tested using the 2017 theme. The link works. (the Toolset Genesis plugin deactivates here, as expected)
I tested using the Genesis default theme. The link works.
I tested using several Genesis child themes. The link works.
I activate the Toolset Genesis plugin. The link no longer works.

I have created a guest admin if you need to investigate further.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Yes - it would be great if you share temporary access details and problem URL where I can see the issue.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Yes - indeed there seems to be some issue but I need to debug this further.

Could you please share the copy of your site using duplicator plugin:
=> https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Minesh
Supporter

I was not able to setup your duplicator today but will do tomorrow first thing and get in touch with you further updates. Sorry for the unintentional delay.

Minesh
Supporter

I tried to setup the duplication package two-time and first time I was not able setup the site and the second time somehow site is loaded but when I try to access the problem URL it keeps loading and loading.
=> hidden link

Could you please share duplicator package with minimum installation - please remove if you have any security plugins or any files.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Ok - thank you. Downloading..

Minesh
Supporter

I'm assigning this ticket to another supporter as I'm having some troubles to access the duplicator package you shared.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.04.47 AM.png

Hi, Minesh assigned this ticket to me because I was able to get your site clone to load on my own environment. However, I do not see a link to Edit anything in the Enrolments table. I see "No items found" (screenshot attached). I have logged in using the testadmin account you provided earlier to access the URL. I tried adding an Enrolment for the Student "Colin" but that didn't seem to show up in the Enrolment table. Can you please tell me what I need to do to see the "Edit" link here? I must be missing something.

Hi Christian

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry about that - I am learning Toolset and testing new functions and then deleting the content I don't need before more testing and building.

I'll create an example to show you what I mean. Would you like to me to do another copy of the site using Duplicator or is it easier for you if I create a staging copy on my server?

Kind regards,
Greig

A staging version will work fine for now, I'd just like to be able to replicate the issue and see the symptoms. Thanks! Private reply fields are enabled here so you can share details of the staging area securely.

Thanks Greig, we are currently in the process of releasing several plugin updates, including a CRED update which will modify the way CRED edit links work. Once it is released, I will take another look at your ticket and help find the best solution. I would rather wait for the release than to suggest a fix that just needs to be changed again in a day or two. I hope that's okay with you. Please stand by and I will update you shortly. Thanks for your patience!

Hi Christian and thanks for your reply.

It's worth noting that the second link mentioned above isn't a form, it's a link to a layout that is assigned to my primary CPT. In other words, my "master" parent CPT can not be displayed within the Genesis theme, which represents about as big a glitch as you can get. My fingers are crossed that this will also be dealt to via the updates 🙂

Kind regards,
Greig

Hi, I invite you to read our new documentation about integrating CRED edit links:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-cred-editing-forms/

There are several new steps to take when implementing a CRED edit form. These were necessary to help integrate the edit form more effectively. The main difference you will find is that you must now include your edit form in a Layout or Content Template. You will find buttons to include your CRED links in the "Fields and Views" dialog while you are creating your Content Template or Layout cell.

Please review the documentation and let me know if there are any unclear directions, and proceed to update your edit links using the process described here. I'm available if you have any questions.

awful.jpg
ok.jpg

Hi Christian

The situation is certainly improved - my new form nested within a layout is visible.

But still there remains the larger problem of integration with Genesis, which I think was perhaps half of the original problem. I attached two screenshots of my 'main' layout, one with the plugin activated and one without. The one without the plugin isn't perfect but is usable, the other is not useful at all.

Have I missed something critical in how layouts are supposed to be implemented within the Genesis+Toolset environment or is this a glitch? I'm happy to raise a new support thread if you think that's appropriate.

Kind regards,
Greig

Okay thanks, let's start a new ticket for the Genesis integration issue and get that sorted out. Thanks for helping us keep the forums organized.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.