Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Please make the "Front-end display" box NOT be visible by default.

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by miahM 8 years ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

Hi.

Please remove the "Front-End Display" Gigantic box from the backend on post-edits.
I dont consider this something that should be visible to users as most users want the backend to be simple.
At least, PLEASE let US (the dev) decide if its visible by default or not..
Its really becomming hard to make a simple looking backend with Toolset because "Content Template" and now "Front End Display".

Please try to keep Toolset as a Developer tool instead of a "normal plugin" where everything is "childish" - sorry couldnt find a better word for what i feel with some of the new features. At least you cleared up the admin menu and put together all links in 1 tab - Thumbs up for that.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Thomas

Toolset is a developer tool, because you can do pretty advanced things with it, not only with the GUI but also with its API. It is also a customer tool, because it empowers non developers to improve their sites and extend what they can do with vanilla WordPress.

In this specific case, the Front-End Display metabox is quite usefull for people that do not fully know the featues that toolset porvides, and the content of the metabox changes depending on what Toolset plugins you have. It is also a great shortcut since you do not know to jump between admin screens to create related things to the ones that you are editing at a given moment.

However, we assumed that some devs might want to remove the metabox entirely, so we provided a simple hook to do so. It is a standard WordPress filter, "types_information_table". Just hook into it and make your callback return a simple boolean "false" and you should be good to go.

Hope it helps. And thanks for the feedback 🙂

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for posting the information on how to remove this change to how toolset works.

As a developer I'd have to agree with Thomas. We've has had several clients calling concerned by its sudden appearance on sites that have been in use for several years. It would be good if changes like this didn't appear on existing sites by default and we had an option to turn on new functionality.

Thanks

Mark

Juan
Supporter

Hi Beth

Thanks for the feedback.

While I do agree that breaking functionality shoul be widely announced and an upgrade path should be offered, I think we all can also agree that offering ways to disable every new feature is not a path any plugin, or even any project, can follow.

This new box for helping on frontend display aims to help existing users and newcomers, who might not knwo how to use the Tolset plugins together, or that usualy need to jump from an admin page to the other to complete recurring tasks.

We added a PHP filter to disable the functionality completely, and we also added the box as a standard WordPress metabox, which means that it can be disabled for each post type and user by just going to the Screen Options when editing a post and disabling the right checkbox.

Also, it is always a good idea to have a staging site where updates are tested and checked before pushing them to production.

Please also accept my apologies if ur update produced any problem with your clients. Our goal is to make your and their lifes easier. And we appreciate the ffedback we receive back.

Regards.

Hi Juan, Thank you for assisting me.

Eventhough that is what you had in mind when you developed the very big "Front-end Display" box, i have to admit that, that is not the effect it had in my case.
Most of my clients are asking me what the box is, after the update, because they are used to a clean interface, with only metaboxes that they are actually going to use.
So my final feedback for this case, is that for my clients at least, it has caused more confusion than it has made it more easy.
We code the website to be ready-to-use for clients, so they dont have to worry about templates.. Clients does not necessarily now what a Archive is etc. and it may break the layout we have already coded for them.
In my case, i attach Custom Content Templates to my php templates, so they should never worry about this new box.

You say you have a filter to remove it permanently - can you please provide me with that filter so i can include it in my custom theme, so my clients does not have to worry about it in the future..?

Thanks again for your support.

Juan
Supporter

Hi Thomas

Sure, here you ahve it:

types_information_table

. This is a simple filter, just hook into it a function that returns

false

and you should be good to go.

Let me apologize again for any problem we might have caused you, and raise again the point on having staging sites where you can test updates before they reach your production sites. For example, we have seen a lot of support requests everywhere (not here, but on official forums and on third party plugin forums) regarding the latests WordPress update a couple of days ago, regarding the new javascript libraries bundled with the platform and plugins and themes not updated on time. It is important that those problems, besides the usability ones we might create by changing GUIs, are at least foreseen.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Thank you.

I tried using the add_filter with false, but it gives an error.
The WP solution from the codex shows you should use

'__return_false'

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/_return_false

The solution for those looking for it, this is the way that worked for me

add_filter('types_information_table', '__return_false');

Regarding the apologizes, no worries, its not a critical issue, its just some client feedback i get, and i have to pass it on. I understand your priorities, and it makes perfect sense, but as mentioned this is casual feedback.

Thank you very much for your support, i will mark this as fixed.

BTW - I would like to say that we have received an array of comments from our Client, many of which are using this and other Toolset plug-ins also voiced concerns when the metabox showed up after the recent update.

We've removed it using the instructions above. But I agree with the sentiments of the other commenters in this post.

Miah

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.