Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Repeat Sets of Fields for submission form

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by garyF-3 6 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: in a creds submission form have a set of fields that as a group repeat e.g. creds - year, project, company, role, main contact. The idea is that a user can add as many or as few creds as they have relevant experience in. This is in essence like a job site would where you enter your experience by time period from to. We do not need the from to just a year for the project.

I visited this URL:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-groups-of-repeating-fields-using-fields-tables/
But there is no mention of how groups might work on a creds form.
I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Gary,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Actually we are following wordpress practices and since on the backend you can only repeat a single field and not an entire group of fields then this function is carried over to our CRED forms. This means that with our CRED forms you can only repeat single fields and not an entire group of fields.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. What if I create a CPT called creds and in that have post fields: company, project, year. Is it then possible to have a cred form have some form of add new CPT 'cred' and then add another 'cred' CPT and so on.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gary,

It would be possible then but that would mean you will need to add multiple instances of that cred form to the page. Essentially you will be creating child posts of some parent. I can see this working but the problem is there will be a fixed number of repeating for the CRED form.

Take a look at this link below as a colleague was explain something similar
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-create-a-form-with-repeating-fields-groups-using-cred/#post-530625

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi, thanks for that thread. I'm not clear from it how it would work from the customers perspective, which is critical.

So what I want to achieve based on the thread:

1. First cred form creates parent post.
2. Second form (after a redirect based on button or condition - not important) takes to second form. This second form has the 'repeater' fields and generates a new child post type.
3. After submitting form 2. The user has option to create another form same as 2. or progress to another form (not important what form).

The user doesn't need to see any views or finished post at anytime while the cred forms are being used for the entry of information.

Is that correct?

Gary

multiple-creds-for-one-cpt-3.png
multiple-creds-for-one-cpt-2.png
multiple-creds-for-one-cpt-1.png

Please attached images which may help explain the goal.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gary,

The limitations here is that you are not able to dynamically add the new form to the page. So what you can do is to set set the form to keep displaying the form after it has been submitted, this way if a user wants to add another record they can.

What I recommend too is that you add some note on the form indicating to the customers on how to add multiple records.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks - got a work around. Did you know about Formidable Forms and repeating fields - this also may be a solution.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.