Skip Navigation

[Resolved] RSS Feed Offsetting

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: In the archive of my CPT generated by WordPress, I am unable to see the most recent post. It is also missing from the RSS Feed. I have created a View of my custom post type, and the post appears as expected.

Solution: In this case it appears there was some custom code in place that was causing a problem with the feed and archives. Removing the code fixed the problem.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by charlesH-8 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: Utilize an RSS feed to pull export CPT data

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: ece2.ncsu.edu/research/seminars and hidden link

The RSS feed appears to be offsetting the results by one - ignoring the most recent item. This appears to be happening on all Types-managed CPTs, but doesn't appear on other non-Types CPTs, ergo I'm assuming there's something on the Types end that is causing an offset.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 1.45.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 1.48.22 PM.png

Hi, I'm not seeing the same issue you described. The top entry in the archive appears to be "Memory Bandwidth Management...", and the same entry appears first in the RSS feed for me. Perhaps there was a cache issue, or the feed was not up-to-date yet?

Strangely though, the second entry in the archive, "Test Seminar," does not appear. I'm attaching screenshots with some information obscured for privacy. Are you seeing the same results on your end?

Correct – in this case "Test Seminar" is the most recently added entry, and therefore is the one that is missing in the RSS feed.

Okay thanks, I misunderstood. So this page includes a View of seminar posts, I assume:
hidden link

And this is an archive of seminars:
hidden link

The archive results match the feed, which is expected. As far as why the View results and archive results are different, I would need to take a look at a screenshot of the entire View editor screen in wp-admin. It does not appear that the archives at /seminar are controlled by a Toolset WordPress Archive, so that must be a standard archive created automatically by WordPress. Let me know if I've misunderstood that and there is something else to consider about these pages.

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.49.32 AM.png
screenshot-ece2.ncsu.edu-2018.03.27-08-54-18.png

Correct – I'm not actively using an archive for seminars, so yes, I'd assume it's just the automatically created version by WP.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the View that's displaying the /research/seminars display (that's showing everything), as well as a shot of the admin listing for the relevant post type.

Well something strange is going on because the archives generated by WordPress do not seem to be paginated correctly either:
hidden link
hidden link
This could be a symptom of the same problem. Is it possible for you to temporarily deactivate all plugins except Types and Views, and activate a default theme like Twenty Seventeen? If you need to activate a Maintenance Mode plugin that's fine. Once you have eliminated those other potential conflicts, please check the seminar archive page hidden link again. If the "Test Seminar" post now appears here, you can assume there is a conflict between Toolset and another component. At that point it's best to reactivate your parent theme, and retest. If the test seminar post still appears, reactivate your child theme, then plugins one by one, testing each time until the conflict is revealed.

If it's not possible for you to manipulate the theme and plugins on the live site, we need to set up a test environment somewhere. I can upload the Duplicator plugin to create a clone and install that locally if necessary. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

I did a bit of experimentation (including setting a Types archive) and some poking around – looks like there was a functions code error causing an offset across all archive types (but since I'm not using native archives, it wasn't noticeable). Therefore, thanks for your help in pointing towards the right direction, we should be good to go!

Thanks again.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.