[Escalated to 2nd Tier] Select field issue – wrong language as a result

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nigel 2 months ago. The support staff assigned to this topic is Nigel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author
Posts
#596648

I had an issue on my site with a select field. I couldn´t translate the default label text. That issue was solved in this thread:
https://wp-types.com/de/forums/topic/cannot-get-a-string-in-a-view-translated/
Now i do have another problem with this select field:
The site is available in two languages: German and english.
It is online now:
hidden link
When i switch to english and navigate to "Channels" - i will see a select field where i can choose in which country i am looking for a tv station. When i did choose a country another select field is displayed where i can choose a channel in that country. And below this select box the available channels are displayed as linked brand-images.
When i click on one image the details for that channel are shown in english. That´s how i want it to be.
Bujt when i use the select field to choose a channel - the channel details atre displayed in german. And this only happens using the firefox browser or edge. In chrome everything works fine.
The layout i use to display this page is called "Layout for Senderseite"
Can someone help?

Thanks a lot!

#596810

Nigel
Forum moderator

Supporter languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Supporter Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Hannes

I visited the page and I see the problem, once I have selected the language, and then the channel, the channel details that show up on the right are in German. Plus, the language selector reverts to German, even though the rest of the page (e.g. the menus) remain in English.

See screenshot.

Note that I tested this in Chrome and FF and got the same results in both.

I will do some further testing and get back to you.

#597259

Nigel
Forum moderator

Supporter languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Supporter Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Hannes

I've been looking again at this and now I can't reproduce the problem, everything seems to work as expected (see screenshot).

I tried visiting the site in different browsers and logged-in and logged-out.

Did you change something? Or did the tooth-fairy visit?

#597550

Hello Nigel,

unfortunately the tooth-fairy wasn´t there.
In Edge and Firefox the issue still exists. It´s important to choose the channels with the links from the select dropdown list and not by clicking on the logos. Did you try it that way?
Greetings Hannes

#597702

Nigel
Forum moderator

Supporter languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Supporter Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Hannes

You are right, it only appears to work in Chrome. I think I must have clicked the logos when testing in FF.

I don't have Edge to test, but I got the same result with Opera.

It appears to be an ajax-related problem because if you hit page refresh when the German results are displayed with ajax, the page reloads with the correct English results.

I've escalated this so that a colleague can debug further and see if they can identify the problem, and I'll keep you posted.

#599185

Hello Nigel,
any news on this topic?

#600147

Hello. My clients get a little nervous now, because this part of their website isn´t working. Could you please have one more look at this problem?

#600153

Nigel
Forum moderator

Supporter languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Supporter Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Hannes

I've reviewed the internal developer tickets. It appears connected to a WPML issue which is already fixed in WPML 3.9, which is planned to be released after the holidays. The language setting is not being respected when updating a search via ajax.

If you change the settings so that the page reloads, rather than the results update via ajax, you should find that it works correctly.

When WPML 3.9 is published it should be possible to restore updating via ajax.

Can you check that it works with page reload?

We can leave this ticket as-is (escalated) until WPML 3.9 has been published to be able to confirm that it fixes the original problem.

#600208

Thanks for your answer Nigel!
Unfortunately it doesn´t work that way because i need to have the refresh with Ajax, cause i don´t have a searchbutton, that can be pressed. So i will have to wait for the upate after the holidays.

#600213

Nigel
Forum moderator

Supporter languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Supporter Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

If you needed a workaround for your client you could change the settings so that the update is via a page refresh and then add a jQuery snippet that adds a change listener to the select input which submits the form.

hidden link
hidden link

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)