Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Select using Ajax (remote data)

This support ticket is created 6 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by andreaD-4 6 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

In addition to handling <option> elements that explicitly appear in html markup for Select and Multiple lines fields,
is it possible to retrieve the results from other data sources such as a remote JSON API?
This feature should be very usefull when dealing with very large options.

For example see: hidden link

thank you

I can see how this would be helpful for large data sets, but we don't currently offer integration with a remote API as a data provider. In theory, you can implement a select2 field in a View's Filter Editor and apply an external data source that is hooked into your WordPress database. Then you might be able to use some custom code that collects the value selected by the select2 element and applies that to a WP Query using wpv_filter_query. If you would like to experiment with that, let me know and we can take a deeper look. It will require knowledge of PHP and JavaScript.

https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

Hi Christian,
toolset is great and I think that this is very important feature for CRED. It is already implemented by other plugin manufacturers and I hope that in future updates you will think about this solution.
This solution can be used by Regions> Provinces> Cities or you can manage long lists without creating very heavy html pages. Using remote data on a mysql database can be a powerful tool to sell even more toolset. With your very useful tutorial.

I will submit this feature request to our developers. I can't guarantee they will decide to move forward and implement it, but if they do I will update you here.

Thanks Christian, Being able to handle thousands of data with toolset would be very nice. Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.