Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Setting up User Rating system

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Is there a way to set up a User rating system for Users? I’ve seen several topics about creating a rating system to rate post types, but I am hoping to find something that will allow users to rate other users.

I am hoping to find something that will allow users to rate other users.
This sounds fairly complex. In theory you could accomplish it with a combination of custom post types, custom fields, CRED forms, and custom code. I don't have any simple instructions for you here, as you can see from other posts about ratings there is no simple solution. I think if I were trying to accomplish this I would look for a 3rd party plugin that handles ratings first. If you have exhausted all your options there, then I would consider implementing a custom system with Types and CRED. A few things you would need to make it work:
- A custom post type for Votes, that stores the voted user's ID along with the voting user's ID (assuming a user can only vote once for another user, and/or has the ability to modify their vote later)
- A custom post type that acts as a parent for all the Votes for a specific User
- A User custom field that links the parent vote container post to the User
- Some custom code that creates this parent vote container post automatically whenever a User is created
- A CRED form that allows users to create a new Vote for another User. This Vote will be a child of the other User's parent vote container post.
- A custom display that shows the current average rating and number of Votes for a specific User, generated using your own custom mathematical equations and custom shortcodes
- Depending on how many of these ratings you plan to show on a page, you might also need to consider creating your own cache. Use additional User custom fields that save calculated rating averages and number of votes whenever a vote is counted - this will prevent a lot of unnecessary math and help speed up load times. You can use the cred_save_data hook for this.

This is just a preliminary list of things you might need to consider when starting your own ratings system, but it's a good way for you to start to think about the full scope of the work. Let me know your thoughts.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.