Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Styling excerpt

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to include HTML tags when I use wpv-post-excerpt shortcode.

Solution: Since WordPress strips HTML tags out of the excerpt by default, changing this functionality would require custom code that extends Toolset. That type of code falls outside the scope of the support provided here in the forums.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by pierre-yvesC 6 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

I have some

<ul><li>

in my Post body and I wat to display a excerp with those lists. Actually the default dispalying make the

<ul><li>

on one line : Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 etc

I would the

<li>

separated by a comma. Is there a way to accomplish that?

Many thx

Hi, by default WordPress strips HTML out of post excerpts. Changing that functionality would require some custom code that is beyond the scope of the support we provide here. You could instead write the excerpt manually in wp-admin. Copy the content from the post body into the excerpt editor, and replace list item tags with commas as needed.

list item 1, list item 2, list item 3

This way your post body will continue to use li tags and you can show commas in excerpts. The main drawback to this approach is that it you must maintain the content in two places.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your advice.

I was expecting I could use something like that:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/is-there-really-now-way-to-use-the-more-tag/

Which I don't really understand well :o)

I can't recommend attempting to override Types functions as described in the post from 5 years ago. The only approach I can recommend is as I mentioned before, you must copy and paste the content from the post body into the excerpt area and add the commas yourself. Otherwise, you would need custom code which falls outside the scope of our support policy here in the forums. If you need professional help with this code, you can contact one of our certified partner contractors. Here is the list of our contractors:
https://toolset.com/consultant/

OK, thx

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.