Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Ultimate CSV Import

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by J S 6 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

J S
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.39.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.40.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.41.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.42.34 PM.png

I am trying to: import CSV data to a custom post type (Institutions) created with Types.

I have mapped the CSV fields to the Types Custom fields and mapped some CSV fields to Taxonomy fields. The field specified as post title imports fine, and the taxonomies import fine, and the log for the Ultimate CSV Importer plugin shows that the taxonomies are populating with the correct fields as mapped and reports success. However, when I open the CPT Institution in the Admin, none of the custom fields have any data. The taxonomies show the correct imported data but the custom fields are all blank. All fields are specified as single line. I've tried importing at least 10 times now without any success for the custom fields. Any ideas?

J S
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.47.53 PM.png

If there is another way to import csv data as custom post types + custom fields + taxonomies, please let me know. I can't attach a sample CSV.

Also, is there some setting in types that is keeping the custom fields from being duplicated as "WordPress Custom Fields" as shown in this screenshot or is that how it is supposed to look? When running the Ultimate CSV importer in the past on other sites with CPTs created by different plugins, the custom fields are duplicated there. Not sure this is relevent or not but thought it might help diagnose this issue.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - We offer a detailed tutorial which guides you about using the free CSV Importer plugin here:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

Even - you should check the example file we shared for your reference to import the custom field data. I wonder why the custom fieds is not imported even though you have pro plugin.

You should try to check with above tutorial and let me know if that help you to resolve your issue.

However - another alternative to importing the data if that suits you is "WP All Import" which is paid plugin.
=> hidden link

Or you should try to google it the alternative plugin which suits your best requirements.

J S

Hi,

To clarify, I do not have the Pro plugin but I am told by the developer that it still works for custom field types of text, or text area. That is even stated at the link here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/ where it says

"Modules supported in Import and Export

Core Modules – Post, Page, Custom Post, Comments and Users.
Custom Post – CPT UI, CustomPress and default WordPress Custom Post.
Custom Field – CustomPress, WordPress default Text & Textarea fields of Types, Pods, etc,."

Types doesn't have fields called Text or Text area but I assume these are the same as the Types field types of Single Line or Multi-Line which are the only types of fields I have.

I couldn't get either of the other plugins to work either by formatting the data the way they require and I do not have access to All Import Pro. The Ultimate CSV Importer is the closest and has worked for this same data when not using Types so I think I have something set up incorrectly.

Is there a way I can send you my Types Group and a sample CSV to see if you have success or if I've done something wrong?

Minesh
Supporter

Could you please make sure that you have setup your file as per the given guidelines with the following doc:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

Also - Please dont forget tot check the test example file given within the section "Case Example" and try to download it and compare with your file.

if this doesn't help, feel free to send me your file for review but please confirm first that you followed the guidelines given with above Doc and you prepared the CSV file as per the "Case Example".

J S

Yes I've tried the test example numerous times. No luck. How do I send you my file?

Minesh
Supporter

Ok fine.

Could you please try to Export your Types settings and send it to me from:
=> Toolset => Export/import

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-importexport-types-structures/

And - send me your test CSV file - you can upload somewhere to any file sharing service and share to link to download it.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.