Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can't add more custom fields

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 9 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Paweł Pela 9 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Paweł Pela.

Author

Bob

Suddenly Types stopped adding new fields to my field groups. I have 4 groups, 2 of which are a parent-child.
Everything looks like it's saving; but once I go away and come back the newly added fields are missing.
Host is 1and1.
Did I do something wrong?
(The only other plugins that were activated were Gravity Forms and JSON-Api. Deactivating them does not solve the problem. I was already using Twenty-twelve theme.)
Thanks for your help.

Dear Bob,

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to a test site where the problem has been replicated in order to be of better help. I've enabled the private details box for you. You will find the needed fields below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

Thank you!

Regards,
Paweł

Bob

Pawel,
Thanks for your help.

Dear Bob,

Thank you for the update!

I logged in and I tried to add some new custom fields. I can confirm that there is a problem of some sort, but it doesn't happen every time. I managed to add a couple of fields (you are free to delete them), but I also had a situation where a field disappeared.

Please leave the site available for us for a bit longer. I will ask our lead developer for Types to take a look.

Also, I have enabled the WP_DEBUG mode, so you may see some errors and notices displayed on the site that weren't there before. If you see something like this, please don't hesitate to notify us.

I will be report our findings to you as soon as I know something more.

Regards,
Paweł

An update:

I will have to install the Duplicator plugin and recreate your site on my test machines to see if this problem persists. This plugin creates an exact copy of your blog which I can then reinstall quickly and check in a different environment.

I will return to you as soon as I find something.

Regards,
Paweł

Dear Bob,

I can't run Duplicator because it gives me a 500 error, so I will try to simply download your site via FTP. Can you provide me with a database dump for this website? Please send it to pawel.p@onthegosystems.com

Thank you!

Regards,
Paweł

Dear Bob,

Thank you for sending the database!

I have a copy of your site and I will be checking this issue now. Although, I have to inform you that it will take me some time to upload it to my server and check everything so there is a big chance I will be able to contact you with results on Monday at earliest.

One thing: in my case, I have managed to create the fields in 3 out of 4 tries and our lead developer for Types did not get any problems at all. I guess there may be a database error involved at your host, but I need to check it to be sure.

Thank you for your patience!

Regards,
Paweł

Dear Bob,

I did extensive tests on your site locally and I did not come up with any ideas besides one: are you perhaps creating fields with the same slugs as already exist somewhere else? For example if you add a "Test field" twice, Types will give you a notice that this field already exists, but it will unfortunately still create it on this screen. But it will then disappear when you return to the edit screen. I think this is it and it in fact is a bug.

A workaround for this bug would be to create a different slug, for example "test-field-2" etc.

I will be closing this thread for now, if you still have problems please open a new thread.

Regards,
Paweł

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.