Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Child Layout columns not displaying on production site

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 9 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by harryT 8 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
Prod-site.jpg
MAMP-site.jpg

I am trying to: use Layouts to create a three-column Homepage

I expected to see: my Layout rendered in three columns; a Left Sidebar, a center Content area, and a Right Sidebar.

Instead, I got: All three columns were flush left, and stretched across the page.

I created the child theme on my local machine using MAMP. I then uploaded it to my production site and rebuilt the Layout, and the columns refused to render at full width. I also tried exporting the MAMP Layouts to the production site, with no luck, even after editing the resulting child theme on the production site to properly display the widgets I wanted to use.

When this support thread is reviewed, I will give the tech full access. The production site is a subdomain duplicate of the main site, so edits can be made in safety.

Dear Harry,

I suggest you try this:
1) deactivate other plugins, switch to our demo theme "Layouts demo for Bootstrap 3", and test again.
You can download it here:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/#example-themes

2) if the problem still exists, please fill below private detail box with login details of your test site, also point out the problem layout URL and page URL, thanks

TBDemo.JPG

The demo version worked, but the Toolset-Bootstrap 1.7.1 did not. And that is the source for the child theme I created. Should I make my child theme a child of the demo version instead?

Demo-layout.jpg

I created a duplicate of my child theme and assigned it to the demo version. I now see the three columns, but I've lost a lot of the design elements — the menu, for starters. The demo version also loses some of the functionality of the 1.7.1 theme, such as headers, menus and footers. I also wound up losing my header-layouts.php file, which had a design element I wanted to keep constant across the site.

Thanks for the details, I can log into your website, I see you are using a theme "thekrayolas 3 (Layouts Demo)", which should be the child theme of "Layouts demo for Bootstrap 3", so here is my question:
Are you going to use the child theme "thekrayolas 3 (Layouts Demo)" or another child theme "thekrayolas 1.7.1"?

For the question: Should I make my child theme a child of the demo version instead?
This is depends on you, if you don't need the function of theme "Toolset-Bootstrap 1.7.1", you can switch to "Layouts demo for Bootstrap 3" as parent theme. if you need, then we need debug in your child theme "thekrayolas 1.7.1".
To debug the problem of theme "thekrayolas 1.7.1", I suggest you try this, switch to it's parent theme "Toolset-Bootstrap 1.7.1", test again. if the problem still exists, then it should be a problem of theme "Toolset-Bootstrap 1.7.1", since you did not mention the problem page URL and problem Layout URL, I am not sure where should I check.
If you need assistance for it, please point out the problem layout URL and page URL, thanks

I prefer to use the 1.7.1 child theme, as it has more functionality. I only created the demo child theme at your suggestion and left it there for you to compare.

hidden link is the problem layout. But the same thing is happening on another child layout page: hidden link, which uses the "Content Pages" layout that I created. (two-column, removes right column).

Thanks for the details, I can duplicate same problem in my localhost with theme "Toolset-Bootstrap 1.7.1", and put it into our to-do list, our developers will take care of it.

Something else they might look at: when creating a "Text" widget using Layouts, pasting in anything that uses quotation marks ("), like a web address or photo link, generates backslashes (\) before the marks. These slashes have to be removed before the address works.

It also doesn't seem to like going back into a saved page and making grid edits. When I tried to do so, it would only allow me to add horizontal grids, not vertical.

Here is the feedback from our developers:
Fixed in Toolset Bootstrap 1.7.2, new developments added:
**Added support for Twitter Bootstrap 3 for Toolset Layouts plugin usage.

Please let me know if you need a development version of Toolset Bootstrap 1.7.2 for test.

Yes, please send the development version.

I am sending you an email with development version of Toolset Bootstrap 1.7.2, please test and feedback if the problem is fixed. thanks

Krayolas-TB172-041015.jpg

Initial load of the new master theme appears to work okay, but it does mess up some established CSS (the header). And the accordion on the menu opens and closes too quickly for the user to select any of the menu items. I will continue to test and provide more details.

Krayolas-TB172-041215c.jpg
Krayolas-TB172-041215b.jpg
Krayolas-TB172-041215a.jpg

I was able to fix the header issue (simple CSS fix). However, now the menu is not displaying properly.

1. On full display (1170px) menu bar is blank. Same on iPad landscape view. (photo 041215a)
2. On accordion display (reduced size, such as iPad portrait view), clicking accordion bar shows menu items, but accordion quickly closes, not allowing user to select items. (photo 041215b)

Actions taken, with no result:

A. Tried turning Theme Options>General Settings>Enable top menu on and off.
B. Tried deleting Navigation Bar in Layout Parent.
C. Tried creating a short, three-item menu with no subitems.
D. Tried creating a second Parent Layout from scratch. After resizing the browser to accordion display, then back out to full size, the menu did appear (photo 041215c), but refreshing the browser made it disappear again.

I can not duplicate same problem in my localhost, please try duplicate same problem in a test site, and fill below private detail box with login details, I need a live website to debug this problem, thanks

Thanks for the details, I am trying to log into your website, will feedback if there is any found

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.