Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom field groups disappear from Product editor screen

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Custom field groups have disappeared from the Product editor screen. I cannot find them in Screen Options, and they are showing as connected to Products in the Field Group editor screen.

Solution: There is currently a known issue with The7 Go Pricing, WPBakery Page Builder, and Types. When these 3 plugins are active at the same time, custom field groups disappear from the post editor screen in wp-admin.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by johnH-21 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to add additional options to the custom post fields I have created and all of a sudden each time I try to add a new one, they all completely disappear.

If I go under Post Fields it shows the name of the custom post fields I have created but all options and data is missing.

I have tried switching to TwentySeventeen. I have tried to disable all plugins but the WP-Types plugins. Nothing seems to make this data reappear.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 8.48.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 8.47.57 AM.png

Attached are screenshots.

Everything worked perfectly until I started to add new options. It appears as though the data is still in the MySQL Database it is just not showing in WordPress via Back-end or Front-End.

I also tried to increase max input vars to 3000 to no avail.

I have also tried to deactivate and reactive the post fields to no avail. I tried to go to Post Field Control and Manage with Types. When doing this it works for single line because it pulls the content from the database however for all my dropdown selection it changes them to single line post fields and won't allow to be changed to dropdown selection.

Can you enable server logs temporarily to see if any server-side errors are thrown? If you're not familiar with server logs, I can show you how to turn them on. Go in your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just before it says 'stop editing here':

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

Then reload the field group page. If any server-side errors are thrown, this will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please send me its contents. Once that is done, you can revert the changes you made to wp-config.php.

If no errors are thrown, the error_log.txt file will not be created. In this case, please deactivate all Toolset plugins except Types and test again. One other thing I noticed is that you're behind on WP version. Is it possible to update to WP 4.9.4?

Hello Christian, I have been reaching out to WPEngine whom is the hosting for this particular website. I had diagnosed that the problem seems to stem during certain hours after editing the custom fields of 2am - 7am. After some back and forth they have stated this

"The issue is actually on our end though, a database cleanup process is running server side and removing some data to preserve server stability. The criteria for this is a row larger than 4.1 MB or one that is larger than 1.04 MB but has autoload enabled. In this case, it looks like the cleanup is catching the row due to autoload being on."

We are turning off the autoload to see if it resolves the issue. I will let you know the results, if this doesn't appear to resolve the issue will attempt as you suggested above.

Thank you!

Thanks for the update, I will mark this ticket as pending information from you. No need to reply right now, the ticket will remain open for 30 days.

So I wanted to provide an update. The custom post fields are showing however the backend is no longer showing the post field options under products.

Any idea why these are missing. I can provide login credentials if they are beneficial.

Scroll up to the top right corner of the product editor screen in wp-admin and click "Screen Options". Look for the field group name here, and make sure it's checked. If you cannot find the field group name here, go to Toolset > Post Fields and edit the field group. Make sure the "Products" post type is checked here. Then look in Screen Options again in the Product editor screen.

Hello Christian,

We have tried both as Post Type - Products or no selected Post Type select so it would appear via editing in all posts. None of the options are appearing and there is no option to check or uncheck in the screen options

Okay at this point it's probably best for me to get a copy of your site so I can run some tests locally. Since Duplicator is not an option, I can use a clone from the All-in-One WP Migration plugin, or you can provide links where I can download a zip file backup of your wp-content folder and a SQL dump file from your database. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Hey Christian,

This website is over 90gbs so not sure this would be the best option with over 3000+ pages/posts. Let me know your thoughts

In that case, only zip up the wp-content/plugins folder. I have a copy of The7 I can use for testing. I need the entire database, though. I will activate some private reply fields. One allows you to send me a link to download a database dump file. The other says Duplicator package, but instead of a Duplicator package include the link to download a zip file of all your plugins.

Zipping the Plugins folder now and will create a .sql file. Please send the link to upload or I can upload to Dropbox and share the link

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.