Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Import-export of CPT with specific taxonomy term

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to export posts from a Custom Post Type that are associated with a specific taxonomy term.

Solution: Toolset isn't designed to help export post content, regardless of type or taxonomy term. WordPress's native export tool will not allow you to specify a taxonomy term filter for custom post types. So a 3rd party plugin must be used to achieve this filtered export / import process. WP All Import might be able to accomplish this.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by christerA 6 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi.

I have a CPT (courses) with taxonomy "coursecategory", for instance "Excel" and "Word".
Is it possible to export ONLY the courses in category "Excel" and import them into another site?
That site is exactly the same except it does not have some of the courses.
If i can't do that in Toolset, do you know of another plugin?

Have you tried the native WordPress Export tool? In wp-admin, go to Tools > Export. You can choose a post type here, then select a category and export only those posts.

Hi.

I tried WordPress Export, Tools > Export. I chose the post type, but could not see any setting to select a category and export only those posts. The only option was to export all.

Are you sure you don't have any other plugin installed on your computer?

Hi again.

Just to be clear. In Export, if i choose posts or pages, a category option do show up. But not if i choose the CPT.

You are correct - this interface only appears for the standard WP post types. I overlooked that in your description, sorry. I know WP All Import and WP All Export have robust filtering options for importing and exporting, but it's not a free plugin:
hidden link

I'm not very familiar with it but the description looks like it supports taxonomy-based filters and custom post types.

Thanks, i'll look at that plugin.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.