Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Multisite question – how to duplicate CPT from main site to a subsite

This support ticket is created 6 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

My main multisite at

hidden link

uses Toolset (Types, Views, CRED). One of the CPTs is Horses For Sale. I need to be able to copy (manually is just fine using something like Multisite Post Duplicator plugin) an individual horse for sale post to one specified subsite. It will, of course, be the subsite of the horse's seller.

Right now, I don't have anything set up on the subsites. No CPT, no views, nothing. The few subsites that I've moved in are using regular posts with a category for horses for sale and none of those even need to stay - horses long sold.

What do I need to do to get the subsites ready to receive a copy of a CPT and then display it in a similar manner on the subsite as it does in in the main site?

What can I import/export? Copy across somehow? What do I have to set up manually? Do I need the exact setup on both places? I'm guessing that is yes?

Hi, you can use the Toolset Module Manager to export your main site's custom post types, taxonomies, custom fields, Types relationships, Views, Content Templates, and WordPress Archives. Then you can use the Module Manager again on your subsites to import those structures. More info about that here:
https://toolset.com/home/module-manager/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-toolset-module-manager/

The Module Manager plugin does not help migrate pages, posts or taxonomy terms, however. So once you have migrated your post types, taxonomies, relationships, custom fields, Views, CTs, etc. with Module Manager, you will need to use WordPress Import / Export tools to copy posts over from the main site to sub sites. I'm not familiar with the MultiSite Post Duplicator plugin, so I'm not the best source of information about that. As long as it can access custom post types, copy custom field values, and copy custom taxonomy terms over along with the main post content, it should be able to transfer all the important Types information over to the subsites. You should probably run some small-scale tests first to try it out.

Let me know if you have any additional specific questions about this process and I'll be glad to take a look.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.