Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View only own CPTs in parent selector

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kostasK 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Screenshot_20180302_075627.png

I am trying to:
I have created a role ("Owner") and 2 custom post types, “properties” and “POIs”, where each POI has a property for parent. Every Owner has some properties, and every property has POIs linked to it with parent-child relationship.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
I 've asked here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/view-only-own-cpts-in-parent-selector/ before purchasing the plugin.

I expected to see:
When an owner edits a POI, she expects to pick a parent property from a list limited to her own ones, not the ones of other owners.

Instead, I got:
A user is asked, through the “Post Relationship” section and the respective drop-down, to choose one of all users’ properties, not only her own.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Kostas

As you may know we are nearing completion on an overhaul of post relationships and released the first version of a new API as part of that process yesterday (https://toolset.com/2018/03/how-to-prepare-your-sites-for-the-new-post-relationships-coming-in-types-2-3/).

To limit the list of parent posts requires custom code, but it is possible that custom code that works now will need changing, so I'm consulting with the developers about best practices about this particular issue before I give you any advice which could change in a matter of weeks.

(I'm also pushing a non-code solution for this, but I don't know yet whether we might have that in time for the relationship switch over.)

I'll be in touch as soon as I am confident about the advice I give you.

Nigel,

Thank you for your answer.

So, does this mean that the info given to me by Beda in the link above was not accurate? Because, as shown in that thread, the key reason for me buying Toolset was because of this feature. If I was to deal with code in order to improve the Access plugin, I would certainly go with a similar but free plugin and give the code to the community.

I am not saying that Toolset does not reach the value of the money I gave, but if I had good information about this feature I would certainly invest my money/time somewhere else.

Nigel
Supporter

It has always been the case that to limit the parents in some way—e.g. to only the user's own posts—has required custom code to work.

The developers have accepted a request to include such a feature, but right now I don't know what form that will take, or when it will be available, but I will keep pushing for it to be included with the final production versions of the new Types, Views, and CRED.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Kostas

I haven't forgotten about you. I've spoken with the developers a couple of times and they have asked for a little time to complete some work before making any recommendations about how to go about this.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Nigel. Any news on this?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Kostas

Not yet, I have reminded the developers about it.

I can look at adding some code which will work now but it wouldn't necessarily work when switching to the new version.

I'll give it some thought and get back to you soon (I have another client in a similar position).

Hi Nigel,

I decided to go with an external developer to solve my problem. This means that your product, which is of course very good, have no real use for me right now, so buying them was really a bad move based on inaccurate information.

Is there a procedure inside your company for clients to follow in order to claim their money back?

Sorry, closed it by mistake.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Kostas

You can apply for a refund here: https://toolset.com/buy/refund-policy/

What you require will be implemented fairly soon, but I can't say exactly when.

Thanks for trying out Toolset.

Thank you Nigel.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.