Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views is breaking a site when activated. Theme works but nothing from DB shows

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by benjaminH-2 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello, Views is breaking a site when activated. The theme will display but any items in the database won't.

I tried installing Views from several versions ago and the site is still breaks when Views is activated.

I also tried disabling all plugins except for Views and still got the error, so I don't think it's a plugin conflict.

1. Please paste here the exact error you get when you activate WP Debug:
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

2. Please let me know how I can replicate it, as when I activate Views on several sites, things work just fine.

You mention you do not see items from the Database.

I am not sure what you mean with this.
Views will allow you to create Lists of Posts, as example, and they are then displayed with the Views ShortCode using the Fields and Views GUI, which is in every Post Edit Toolbar.

Have you already inserted such a View somewhere?
What do you see on that Page?

Debug Code:

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; BaseDD has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 3

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Twitter has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 259

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Buffer has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 369

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_FbLike_XFBML has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 491

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Google1 has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 599

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Linkedin has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 684

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Pinterest has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 774

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Flattr has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 916

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_FbLike has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1024

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Reddit has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1193

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_DZone has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1276

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_FbShare has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1363

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_FbShareMe has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1439

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Delicious has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1532

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_StumbleUpon has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1643

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_YBuzz has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1684

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_BlogEngage has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1729

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_DesignBump has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1771

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_TheWebBlend has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1813

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_TweetMeme has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1855

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Topsy has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 1961

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Comments has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 2033

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Serpd has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 2088

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Pocket has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 2130

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; DD_Tumblr has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php on line 2225

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; checkbox has a deprecated constructor in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-redirection/common/controls/cf_ckeckboxlist.php on line 176

Notice: Constant UPLOADS already defined in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/themes/DHI/lib/custom.php on line 3

Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in Roots_Vcard_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use
__construct()
instead. in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3893

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php:1643) in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1195

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/include/dd-class.php:1643) in /home/darkhors/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1195

Digg Digg is throwing a lot of errors in debug but doesn't change things whether turned on or off in relation to Views plugin.

"You mention you do not see items from the Database."

I mean all content from the database, whether it was done in Views or not. When Views plugin is activated all content goes away, only items coded in theme outside the DB remain.

OK.

None of these errors are related to Toolset Plugins.
They all come from:
digg-digg (plugin)
seo-redirection (plugin)
DHI (theme)
Roots_Vcard_Widget (this is not a Toolset Widget, it seems of another Plugin: hidden link..69i57.199j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Your debug information tells me you have Views only active, which cannot be true, given the Debug Log.

When you disable all Plugins but Views, and use a native WordPress Theme, this issues will all be gone.

Related to this issue:

I mean all content from the database, whether it was done in Views or not. When Views plugin is activated all content goes away, only items coded in theme outside the DB remain.

1. Views does not create Content.
It displays it.

2. When you just activate Views, it will do nothing.
It will only do something once you create Views, Archives or Content Templates and display them somewhere with ShortCodes

3. If all content disappears, I understand as example Post Content of a certain Post or Posts is not displayed anymore.
This is basically not possible with Views, unless some of the settings apply a Content Template that does not show the Post content.
For this I'd need to see the issue live.

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important

1. Please update all your Plugins, Theme, and other software if needed.

2. I called your website, opened 4 pages:
- home
- /campus/
- /admissions/
- /your-career/

I saw the content there.
Mostly this seems to be native the_content() (Post Content) contents.

3. I activated Views and all that content disappears.

And that is due to the Content Template that you assigned to those Pages.

See, when you visit those pages, and have Views active, you will see a button in the WP Admin bar.
"Design With Toolset".
There, in the "dropdown" you see "Edit Template for Pages"

If you click there, you are lead here:
wp-admin/admin.php?page=ct-editor&ct_id=12479&action=edit

And well, that template is empty.
So it' can't display anything.

Choices you have is to unassign that Content Template from single, or all pages, or you can style your Content with them.

Detailed information about how to use Content Templates are to find here:
https://toolset.com/faq/whats-the-difference-between-a-view-and-a-view-template/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/view-templates/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/editing-view-templates/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/editing-view-templates/setting-view-templates-for-single-pages/

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks Beda, I deleted all of the content templates since they weren't being used and that fixed the problem. Appreciate the help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.